Wednesday 18 May 2016

what skills do animation employees look for

From what I have read so far looking at jobs that are available, it seems that companies are looking for people that have a flair for animation, have a very god understanding of the principles of animation and be able to implement them to a high standard, they need to be nice "don't be a dick"-Mike 2016 ;) 
Good at problem solving, Smaller studios are more likely to employ generalists to this might be something for me to look at as i am quite a generalist at the moment.Drawing talent and humour seem to be quite a popular attribute and it is obvious why.
http://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/skills-animation-employers-are-looking

I just found a company called Mac n Cheez (one of my faves) and they seem to be looking for people who have tried doing things all them selves like i have done etc so i thought id have a look http://www.animationcareerreview.com/articles/stephen-fishman-mac-and-cheez-offers-great-advice-aspiring-animators

I have to be honest, I was thoroughly disappointed. I started off by looking at the showreel on this page. They seem to have done everything I have read not to do! a) its over 3 mins long. b) the music is awful and c) the worst part is they seem to have started with absolutely crap animation that does not show any talent and just makes you cringe. I skipped through a bit and there are a few good pieces but they are heavily surrounded by crap. Unfortunately this made me turn it off and over all i probably watched about 30 seconds. This has really made me realise the importance of a good showreel. I had also intended to read the page but after watching that it makes me think they don't even know what they are talking about.




https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/animator.aspx- this website has some great points on it about what skills animator need and how to get them etc. including :

Skills, interests and qualities

To become an animator, you will need to have:
creativity and imagination
good drawing or modelling skills
patience and concentration
acting skills to bring characters to life
accuracy and attention to detail
the ability to take direction
good computer skills, preferably including graphics and animation software
communication and presentation skills
the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
good teamwork skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment