Sunday 15 May 2016

what is inspiring me

Character Animation Reel from bj crawford on Vimeo.

I found this great character design showreel on Vimeo. I just love how old school the animation is like a lot of it is done on paper but it is so real and perfect using all the principles of animation. This is such an inspiration and makes me realise what my animation is missing. I think I would like to try a simple animation and make sure I use all of the principles. I think it would really improve my showreel and I would like to do it when I get chance. I especially like the panda in the second scene. I love the use of weight and gravity and reaction to the wind. I think reaction is a really important part in believing the animation. I also love how that hat moves in the next scene when he takes it off his head. It reminds me very much of classic Disney.

As I was inspired so much by this I decided to find out who this animator was.

His name is BJ Crawford and there is not much information about him that I can find. However! He has worked on some really big films! Including Epic and Ice age continental drift. He has worked as a freelance animator and at Blue Sky Studios.
Listening to some of the showreel it felt like some was done for 11 second club and I was right! the one with the hat was for it. It shows that even professionals do this and its good practice and improves your portfolio! This was a few years ago now though I wonder if he still enters things.

No comments:

Post a Comment